- Duration11 Nights
- StyleSmall Ship Cruise
- When to GoMay - Aug
- Price GuideFrom $11,321 Per Person
At a Glance
- Private arrival transfer to your hotel in Longyearbyen
- Tour of the Advent Valley to learn about life in the extreme conditions of the Arctic
- Board the Greg Mortimer this afternoon with a Welcome Dinner
- Exploring the Svalbard Archipelago. Due to unpredictable atmospheric conditions (weather, sea, pack-ice, etc., as well as maximizing wildlife opportunities), the itinerary will not be finalized until you’re sailing
- Private departure transfer from the ship
Meet Our Expert
I have vast experience creating luxury worldwide cruise and adventurous land touring expeditions and my passion for these types of bucket-list trips is infectious. I love the the world’s remote northern and southern regions for their incredible nature, extraordinary landscapes, and the pure sense of adventure that they can provide.
Our Cruise Ship
Departure Dates: Expedition cruises through this region run regularly from May to August. Speak to our team to discuss dates and itinerary options.
- 1 night hotel accommodation including breakfast in Longyearbyen
- Shared sightseeing tour in the Advent Valley prior to embarkation
- 10 nights accommodation aboard Greg Mortimer
- All meals during voyage
- Captain’s welcome dinner and reception
- Tea and coffee throughout voyage
- Beer, house wine and soft drinks during dinner
- All Shore excursions and Zodiac cruises on a shared basis
- Educational lectures on-board
- Waterproof expedition jacket
- Port surcharges, permits and landing fees
- Gratuities for ship’s crew
- 24/7 support from our dedicated staff
What's not Included
- International flights from your country of origin
- Any meals, tours, or activities other than those specifically mentioned in itinerary
- Alcoholic beverages or soft drinks outside of dinner service
- Incidental local expenses - souvenirs, laundry, taxis, etc
- Visas for Norway. Your consultant will advise of any required visas and how to obtain them
- Optional excursions and optional activity surcharges
- Travel insurance - we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance as soon as you have booked your trip
- Price based on double occupancy in a double or twin room
Day by Day Itinerary
- Day 1
Arriving at Longyearbyen
After making your own way to Longyearbyen, you will be transferred to your hotel. Once you arrive, you can pick up your luggage tags at the hospitality desk and sign up for pre-embarkation activities. After check-in, you’ll likely have free time to explore Longyearbyen, the world’s northernmost settlement. Take a peek at the Svalbard church, wander inside the local gallery at Galleri Svalbard, or settle into the Karlsberger Pub to sample its impressive whiskey and cognac collections. This is also a good time to purchase any last-minute necessities ahead of your cruise aboard the Greg Mortimer.
*Please note that accommodation in Longyearbyen is confirmed after booking, roughly 2 months before departure.
- Day 2
Explore the Advent Valley before embarking
You’ll check out of your hotel in the morning, ensuring that your luggage tags are attached to your bags, so they can be safely transferred to the ship. After check-in, the rest of the morning can be spent at leisure before meeting your guide in the afternoon for a drive to outer Longyearbyen, where the iconic architectural lines of the Svalbard Global Seed Vault await. After observing from the outside (the seed bank is entirely closed to visitors) we continue to Camp Barentz in Advent Valley to learn about life in the extreme conditions of the Arctic. You’ll board the Greg Mortimer in the late afternoon, and in the evening the Captain’s welcome dinner signals the beginning of a thrilling Arctic adventure.
Group sightseeing tour in the Advent Valley
Breakfast & Welcome Dinner
- Days 3-11
Exploring the Svalbard Archipelago
We’ll spend an enthralling nine days sailing aboard the Greg Mortimer in the Svalbard Archipelago, but because of unpredictable atmospheric conditions (weather, sea, pack-ice, etc., as well as maximizing wildlife opportunities), the itinerary will not be finalized until you’re sailing, chosen by your experienced expedition team, who have years of experience in exploring the Svalbard Archipelago.
While sailing in Svalbard, you’ll have the opportunity to see the luminescent blues of more than 2000 glaciers, magnificent mountain ranges, and a legion of wildlife, including walrusses, whales, seals, and arctic foxes, but none more impressive than the Polar Bear. You’ll explore by Zodiac to get closer to wildlife, hike across the tundra to visit remote human settlements and climb to incredible viewpoints to spot puffins and guillemots nesting on the cliffs. As you sail north of Svalbard, the ship will maneuver between sea ice, a phenomenon that stretches to the North Pole and is best viewed from Greg Mortimer’s excellent viewing platforms, which are ideal points from which to spot wildlife directly from the ship – including polar bears on drift ice. Sea kayaking offers a sublime opportunity to immerse yourself in the Polar waters, rowing closer to glaciers and spotting wildlife at an immersive level. Other activities such as scuba diving, bird watching, onboard lectures delivered by real-life explorers and scientists, and polar plunging (when conditions allow) are all available on the Svalbard Odyssey Polar cruise.
Group tours throughout your cruise
Breakfast, Lunch & Dinner
- Day 12
Disembark in Longyearbyen
The Greg Mortimer cruises back into Longyearbyen in the early morning escorted by the occasional puffin or guillemot who use the currents of air created by the ship to gain momentum, a good opportunity to say goodbye to the local wildlife from an observation deck. You’ll have plenty of time to bid farewell to your expedition team and any friends made along the way before disembarking. From here, you can either continue your onward journey or join us for an optional extension to your tour with a night or two in beautiful Kirkenes for more Arctic adventure close to the Finnish border.
Let’s make this itinerary yours.
Speak to our experienced Destinations Experts about designing this itinerary around your budget and needs
COPYRIGHT © 2023 UNFORGETTABLE TRAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED