Luxury Sri Lanka and Maldives
- Duration11 Nights
- StylePrivate Tour
- When to GoYear round
- Price GuideFrom $7,354 Per Person
At a Glance
- Arrive in Colombo, meet and greet and private arrival transfer
- Overnight stay in rural lodge nearby the airport with breakfast and dinner included
- Free time to relax and recuperate before heading into the island interior
- Transfer up to the northern Cultural Triangle with your private driver-guide
- Visit the Dambulla Cave Temples en route
- Morning private tour of Anuradhapura on foot or by bicycle
- Afternoon safari drive in the Wilpattu National Park
- Transfer to Kandy with your private driver-guide
- Climb Sigiriya rock and enjoy a delicious spice garden lunch en route
- Walking tour of the ancient former capital including the Temple of the Tooth, local markets, a visit to a brass artisan, and a private performance of Kandyan dance
- Dramatic train journey through the Hill Country to Hatton
- Two-night stay in a luxurious tea plantation lodge on all-inclusive basis
- Private tour of the tea estate
- Free time to organize further hikes, village visits, or cooking classes locally
- Transfer back to Colombo with your private driver-guide
- Afternoon city tour including Colombo Fort and Pettah
- Private transfer to Colombo Airport and onward flight to Male
- Meet & greet in Male before memorable seaplane transfer to your island resort
- Two full days at leisure in Paradise
- Arrange diving & snorkeling, spa & massage, island tours locally
- Seaplane transfer back to Male International Airport for your onward flight
Meet Our Expert
I am totally captivated by Asia. Having lived in Singapore, Nepal, South Korea and Hong Kong, travelled extensively across all of our destinations in Asia, and worked in luxury travel for many years, curating exceptional trips comes naturally to me.
- 8 nights in 5-star boutique hotel accommodation in Sri Lanka
- 3 nights in 5-star Maldives island resort
- Bed and breakfast basis in Kandy and Colombo
- Breakfast & dinner included in Kotugoda and Thiripanne
- All-inclusive meals and drinks in the Hill Country and the Maldives
- Private road transport throughout Sri Lanka with private driver-guide
- Private English-speaking side guides for tours in Anuradhapura, Sigiriya, and Kandy
- Private jeep and English-speaking naturalist guide for safari in Wilpattu National Park
- Hill Country train journey booked in best class available
- Entrance fees for any mentioned sightseeing, permits, local taxes, etc
- Seaplane transfers between Male International Airport and Maldives Resort
- Regional flight from Colombo to Male with Sri Lankan Airlines in economy class
- Comprehensive final itinerary and travel app
- 24/7 support from our dedicated staff
- Flexible, personalized itinerary based on your interests
What's not Included
- International flights from your country of origin
- Tourist visa for Sri Lanka. Your consultant will advise on how to obtain this
- Tips or gratuities to guides, drivers, hotel staff
- Any meals, tours, or activities other than those specifically mentioned in itinerary
- Incidental local expenses - souvenirs, laundry, taxis, etc
- Travel insurance - we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance as soon as you have booked your trip
Day by Day Itinerary
- Day 1
Pannala: Arrive into Bandaranaike International Airport, transfer to rural lodge
Your idyllic Indian Ocean journey begins with your arrival into Colombo’s International Airport. You’ll be greeted at the airport and introduced to your private driver-guide, then transferred to your hotel, a peaceful rural lodge approximately 20-minutes’ drive away. Take the night to relax and unwind after your long flight: indulge in a massage or spa treatment, take a refreshing dip in the pool, or stretch your legs with a stroll through the centuries-old tropical gardens.
- Day 2
Thiripanne: Road journey to Cultural Triangle; visit Dambulla cave temples
At a leisurely time this morning, you will head on by road into Sri Lanka’s ‘Cultural Triangle’. This broad low-land area in the center of the island encompasses the ruins of Polonnaruwa, the ancient city of Anuradhapura, the cave temples of Dambulla, and the legendary Lion Rock of Sigiriya. You’ll be heading to a luxurious rural estate in Thiripanne, a short distance from Anuradhapura, which will be a drive of around 4 hours.
On the way you will stop at the Dambulla Cave Temple complex which encompasses carvings, paintings, grottos, and meditation spaces, much of which date back over 2,000 years. At the top of the caves you’ll enjoy a magnificent view of the scrub and jungle which pan on all sides, picking out the immense Sigiriya lion rock on the horizon.
- Day 3
Thiripanne: Morning tour of Anuradhapura
This morning you’ll head into nearby Anuradhapura for a gentle, immersive cycling tour of the ancient city. In its 4th century heyday, Anuradhapura was among Asia’s largest and most impressive cities. As Sri Lanka’s spiritual capital for over a millennium, the city was home to over 10,000 monks and you’ll find the expansive site littered with colossal dagobas and monasteries, and many ruins of the ancient city itself.
Cycle (or walk, should you prefer) through more than a dozen alluring archaeological sites, along the way passing through tranquil paddy fields and rural villages. Highlights will include the Abayagiri Dagoba, the largest Buddhist monument in the world, and the scenic Elephant Pond where you will stop to enjoy a delicious picnic lunch.
Return to the estate in the afternoon and spend the rest of the day relaxing among 58 acres of private grounds, home to over 100 birds species of bird, with hikes, cycling routes, and numerous quiet corners for bucolic relaxation. Further trips to the Buddhist relics of Mihintale, and the leopards of Wilpattu National Park are all possible; onsite activities include cooking classes, agricultural tours, nature walks, and a super luxurious spa.
- Day 4
Kandy: Transfer to Kandy, via Sigiriya
After an early breakfast you will travel down into the center of the Cultural Triangle. Arrive at Sigiriya, the icon of Sri Lanka, to begin your climb before the heat of the day begins to set in. The full climb will take around an hour, entirely on purpose-built steps or stairwells, so easily achievable for anyone with a moderate level of fitness. The final section up to the rooftop palace ruins is on a sturdy but exposed stairway, which can be daunting but is worth it for the magnificent views up top. The best of the frescoes and carvings come before this point however, so many choose to finish the climb at the ‘Lion’s Paw’, before coming back down to enjoy the wide water gardens and small museum also found within the grounds.
You will then head on to Kandy. Stop en route at a lush spice plantation just outside the city where you will enjoy a guided walk and tour, followed by a mouth-watering lunch of Sri Lankan ‘rice-and-curry’. Arrive Kandy in the mid-afternoon and have the rest of the day to relax.
- Day 5
Kandy: City tour of Kandy and guided forest walk
Kandy is Sri Lanka’s former capital, and erstwhile seat of its ancient kings. This is a bustling and picturesque city, ringed by hills and centered around the placid Bomgambara Lake. This morning you will meet a private guide for a half-day walking tour which takes in the city’s key historic and cultural sites as well as providing an orientation to the busy central streets and enticing market areas. You will also take in the sacred Temple of the Tooth, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, the, said to house a relic tooth of the Buddha.
In the afternoon you’ll be taken up to the Udawatta Kele forest sanctuary, which sits high on a ridge behind the Temple of the Tooth. Enjoy a short walk on the forest trail, keeping a keen eye out for macaques, colorful birdlife, and a variety of tropical flora. Finish the walk at a wonderful viewpoint over the city, with cool refreshments provided by your guide.
- Day 6
Hatton: Scenic train journey through the hill country
From Kandy you will take a truly unforgettable train journey through Sri Lanka’s stunning hill country. Said to be one of the world’s greatest train journeys, this 4-hour run passes through scenery of mountains, tea plantations, and charming hill villages. Your driver-guide will travel ahead with your luggage – leaving you free to relax and enjoy the views – and meet you when you disembark at Hatton, right in the heart of Sri Lana’s tea-growing hill country. Continue by road to your luxurious tea estate lodgings set around Castlereigh Lake. You have the rest of the day free to relax and drink in the truly stunning scenery.
- Day 7
Hatton: Guided plantation walk & free day to enjoy the estate
This morning you’ll meet the tea estate’s resident planter for a walking tour of the grounds. Move through the fields and onto the tea factory itself, learning about all stages of tea production as you go, and finish with a tasting session of the freshest brews.
You’ll then have the rest of the day at leisure in your magnificent surroundings. At this all-inclusive estate all your food, drinks, and activities are including in your stay, so take your pick of hikes, boat tours, spa treatments, croquet on the lawn, sunbathing around the pool, or tasty snacks and refreshing drinks ordered through your private butler.
- Day 8
Colombo: Transfer to Colombo; Afternoon walking tour
Enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the estate before departing on the drive back to Colombo. The drive will take you out of the hills, down through Sri Lanka’s rural plains, and into its capital, largest city, and cosmopolitan hub. In the afternoon your guide will take you on an intriguing walking tour through the historic Fort area of the capital, during which you’ll learn about Colombo’s diverse and eclectic history while taking in some delightful colonial buildings, lively markets, and impressive temples.
- Day 9
Maldives: Fly to Male and transfer to your island resort
This morning you’ll be transferred back to Colombo International Airport in good time to check-in for your short one-hour flight across the Indian Ocean to Male, capital of the Maldives. You’ll then board an onward seaplane transfer to your private island resort.
Made up of nearly 1,200 islands in the Indian Ocean, just south of the Indian subcontinent, the Maldives is one of the world’s top destinations for a tropical beach holiday, especially popular among honeymooners with its breathtakingly romantic setting. The archipelago offers some of the best diving on the planet, with crystal-clear turquoise waters teeming with a diverse array of marine life and vibrant coral reefs. In fact, there are 200 different species of coral, 300 fish species, including reef fish, friendly sharks, stingrays, and sea turtles. In addition to world-class snorkeling and diving, other water sports are available too, like sailing, water skiing, windsurfing, and some of the best game fishing in the world.
- Days 10 - 11
Maldives: Days at leisure in the Maldives
These days are yours to relax in tropical paradise. Enjoy long days on the powdery white sand beach, or sign yourself up for breathtaking snorkeling or diving trips, boat tours, or watersports. Luxury resorts here are world-renowned for their world-class spas, incredible dining experiences, and stunning beachside accommodation. Speak to your consultant about the best island resort for you – there are so many wonderful properties to choose from!
- Day 12
Maldives: Seaplane transfer back to Male
Today is your last day in paradise as your luxurious Indian Ocean adventures come to an end. You’ll be transferred back to Male International Airport by seaplane, arriving in good time to check-in for your flight home.
Let’s make this itinerary yours.
Speak to our experienced Destinations Experts about designing this itinerary around your budget and needs
COPYRIGHT © 2023 UNFORGETTABLE TRAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED