Bernina Express: From Glaciers to Palms
- Duration3 Nights
- StylePrivate Tour
- When to GoApr - Oct
- Price GuideFrom $1,913 Per Person
Our 4-day package includes 1st class rail throughout, including the transfers from Zurich to St Moritz, and back from Lugano. However, this can easily be altered to any city in Switzerland at no extra charge. Many guests also chose to do the Bernina Express in reverse, starting in Milan or Venice which can also easily be arranged.
At a Glance
Meet Our Expert
Hailing from America with Irish roots, I’ve spent most of my life exploring and embracing the best of the UK. In recent years, I’ve expanded my expert knowledge, now confidently selling Ireland, Scotland, England, France, and Switzerland.
- 3 nights in 4 or 5-star accommodation
- Daily breakfast at all hotels
- Private arrival and departure airport transfers
- 1st-class Swiss Rail Pass
- All mentioned tours and sightseeing on a private basis with private driver and English-speaking local guides
- Entrance fees for any mentioned sightseeing, permits, local taxes, etc
- 24/7 support from our dedicated staff
- Flexible, personalized itinerary based on your interests
What's not Included
- International flights from your country of origin
- Tips or gratuities to guides, drivers, hotel staff
- Any meals, tours, or activities other than those specifically mentioned in itinerary
- Incidental local expenses - souvenirs, laundry, taxis, etc
- Visas for Switzerland. Your consultant will advise of any required visas and how to obtain them.
- Travel insurance - we strongly recommend you purchase travel insurance as soon as you have booked your trip.
Day by Day Itinerary
- DAY 1
Zurich: Transfer from Airport to Station and onward to St. Moritz
On arrival into Zurich Airport, you will be met by our representative, who will transfer you to Zurich Station for the beautiful journey south to St. Moritz, for those already in the city a transfer will take you straight from the hotel. In Switzerland the train is king and traveling by rail is very easy. Trains are clean, on time, and always depart from the same platform, so there’s very rarely any confusion. The journey time to St. Moritz is approximately 3.5 hours and the route will take you across the fertile plains around Zurich and up into the Alps, via the country’s oldest city, Chur, where you will make a change. On arrival in St Moritz it’s an easy walk to the hotel or a private transfer can be arranged at an additional cost.
Note that alternative routes from other larger cities such as Geneva can be arranged at no extra cost. Trains also run from northern Italy.
- DAY 2
The Bernina Express
This morning return to the station in St. Moritz and enjoy the spectacular journey south to Tirano in Italy. This is one of Switzerland’s if not the world’s most beautiful train rides. The trip takes approximately 4 hours covering a distance of 40 miles, through 55 tunnels, and a whopping 196 bridges! The main highlights include the Bernina Pass, past the Morteratsch Glacier, reaching its highest point at Ospizio Bernina,7,391 feet above sea level, where even in the height of summer icebergs dot the lake. While on the descent the train runs round the famous nine-arched Brusio Spiral Viaduct opened in 1908. On arrival in Tirano, there is time for lunch before boarding the coach for the pretty run to the sub-tropical resort town of Lugano where you will stay overnight.
- DAY 3
Return to Zurich
After some free time to enjoy Lugano, the largest Italian-speaking town in Switzerland, board the train for the easy, but beautiful journey back to Zurich. The journey time is approximately 2 hours with services running every 30 minutes. On arrival, you will be met by our representative and transferred to your hotel.
Alternatively, you might want to stay a couple more nights in Lugano or travel onward to another destination within Switzerland or Italy, it’s your choice.
- DAY 4
At the appropriate time today, you will be transferred from your hotel to Zurich Airport for your return flight home. If you’re not ready to leave Switzerland just yet, contact our travel experts who will be happy to create a bespoke addition to your itinerary.
Let’s make this itinerary yours.
Speak to our experienced Destinations Experts about designing this itinerary around your budget and needs
COPYRIGHT © 2023 UNFORGETTABLE TRAVEL. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED